Help with Housing if you’re leaving the Armed Forces

23rd May 2018

Help with Housing if you’re leaving the Armed Forces

There are lots of affordable housing options available for you to consider when looking to buy a home, and Forces Family Finance can offer you advice and help you to weigh up these options. If this is something that we can help you with, please get in touch with us on 0330 3322 614 (local rate) or email us at

I don’t want to buy a house, so what help can I get with accommodation after leaving the Armed Forces?

Even though Forces Help to Buy is a great scheme offered by the Government, it isn’t the right option for everyone. Whether you are leaving the Armed Forces through choice, retirement, redundancy or medical discharge, there is help available to you and your family.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)
If you are leaving the Armed Forces and still live in service accommodation (SFA/SSFA), then contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office for advice, as they can provide you and your dependents with information and advice about making the move into civvi life, and can also help you with the moving process.

Local Council Housing
If you are a veteran, you can get help with somewhere to live via your local council. They can offer you free advice on the different housing options available, and are legally obliged to help house you if you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and you meet their criteria. You can find out who the housing contact is for your local council at:

Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES)
Not everyone leaving the Armed Forces has a partner or dependents to consider, but there is still help available to you if you are single when leaving the services. SPACES can help you to find either temporary or permanent housing throughout the UK if you contact them within six months of leaving. However, if it’s been longer than six months since you left, they can still offer you information and advice on housing.

Veterans UK – Help for Disabled Veterans
If you are a disabled veteran who requires adaptations to a house, or need everyday help, you can either contact your local council for help, or the welfare department of Veterans UK. If you choose to speak to your local authority for help and advice, have a look first at what services they may be able to offer you.

Royal British Legion
The Royal British Legion have six care homes across the UK providing both long and short term care that are especially for ex-service personnel and their dependents. Several of these care homes offer specialised dementia care. If this applies to you (or a relative), visit their website to find out more about this option.

Whatever your financial situation when you leave the Armed Forces, there will always be help and advice available to you and your dependents in finding housing if you need it.

Sources: Citizens Advice, GOV.UK, Riverside/SPACES, Royal British Legion



Consultations available online, by phone or in person** at a time that suits you.

Call us now on 0330 3322 614 or submit your details below and we'll be in-touch.

 By submitting your details, you consent to their use as set out in our Privacy Policy.

 I am happy to receive future marketing communications from Forces Family Finance.